Buy for

  • Order number: 1215

About the Mississippi flag

The flag of the State of Mississippi was adopted by the U.S. state of Mississippi in 1894, replacing the flag that had been adopted in 1861.

It is the sole remaining U.S. state flag which bears the Confederate battle flag's saltire.

In 1894 a new flag was adopted by the Mississippi Legislature in a Special Session. Mississippi Code, Title 3, Chapter 3 describes the flag as follows:
ยง 3-3-16. Design of state flag. The official flag of the State of Mississippi shall have the following design: with width two-thirds (2/3) of its length; with the union (canton) to be square, in width two-thirds (2/3) of the width of the flag; the ground of the union to be red and a broad blue saltire thereon, bordered with white and emblazoned with thirteen (13) mullets or five-pointed stars, corresponding with the number of the original States of the Union; the field to be divided into three (3) bars of equal width, the upper one blue, the center one white, and the lower one, extending the whole length of the flag, red (the national colors); this being the flag adopted by the Mississippi Legislature in the 1894 Special Session.