The flag of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania consists of a blue field on which the state coat of arms is embroidered. Originally authorized by the state in 1799, the current design was enacted by law in 1907. In the summer of 2007, a bill was introduced to modify the state flag to add the name of the state. The bill has not been adopted by the legislature.
The state coat of arms is surrounded by draft horses on both sides, and a bald eagle, which represents Pennsylvania's loyalty to the United States, above. The state coat of arms includes a ship under full sail, a plow, and three sheaves of wheat indicating the significance of commerce, labor, perseverance and agriculture to the state. Surrounding the coat of arms is a stalk of Indian corn on the left and an olive branch on the right. These represent the state's recognition of its past and its hope for the future. The scroll below the coat of arms reads: "Virtue, Liberty and Independence," which is the state's motto.
In the summer of 2007, the Pennsylvania House of Representatives voted to change the flag with the addition of "Pennsylvania" on the bottom in golden letters. The legislation was proposed by State Representative Tim Solobay. The Senate has not yet taken action on the bill.