Buy for

  • Order number: 1401

About the Westmorland flag

The Westmorland flag is the flag of the County of Westmorland. It was registered with the Flag Institute as the flag of the county in 2011.

The design was developed in consultation with the Flag Institute and has been designed in accordance with the precepts of good flag design. The design is based on the shield from the coat of arms of the former Westmorland County Council. This coat of arms was granted by the College of Arms in 1926 and used by the council until its demise in 1974.

Historically Westmorland comprised two baronies:

The Barony of Kendal which covers the southwestern part of the county, including the towns of Kendal and Kirkby Lonsdale.
The Barony of Westmorland which covers the northern part of the county, including Appleby-in-Westmorland, the county town.

The two red bars on the flag are from the arms of the de Lancaster family, Barons of Kendal. These also featured prominently in the arms of the former South Westmorland Rural District Council. The stylised apple tree is from the thirteenth-century seal of the Borough of Appleby. Hence, the flag represents the two parts of the county. It is a recognised symbol of Westmorland, being used in the logos of local organisations such as the Westmorland County Football Association.

You may also be interested in