The Council flag is taken from the Isle of Wight Arms granted in 1938. The castle featured represents Carisbrooke Castle, the seat of historical Governors. The blue surrounding field and three gold anchors represent the Island status and maritime history.
The Council flag can only be used by the Council on buildings of local government. Therefore, lacking any other official local alternatives, until the new island flag was registered, the Island's team at events such as the International Island Games used only the Union Flag, or on occasion, St George's Cross.