About the Samoa flag

The flag of Samoa was adopted on February 24, 1949.

The flag of Samoa consists of a red field with a blue rectangle in the canton. The blue rectangle bears the Southern Cross Constellation: four large white stars and one smaller star.

Before this time, since the seizure by New Zealand forces on 29 August 1914. Defaced ensigns with three palm trees encircled, and emblazoned on the fly had been used, by officials, and by the public, since the British Military Occupation. The defaced Blue Ensign was used on land, and the defaced Red Ensign at sea.