The flag of the state of São Paulo, along with the coat of arms and the anthem, make the symbols of the state of São Paulo, in Brazil.
Idealized by the philologist and writer Júlio Ribeiro in 1888, it had as a goal be the flag of the republican regime, that was effectively proclaimed at November 15 of the following year. To graphically materialize his idea, Júlio Ribeiro invited his brother in law Amador Amaral, graphic and plastic artist that developed the layout of the flag.
The flag has thirteen stripes varying between black and white that represent the days and nights that the bandeirantes explored the Brazilian inlands. The pavilion has a red rectangle on the upper left corner, representing the blood dropped by the bandeirantes, having inside a white circle and the map of Brazil in blue, being the color of strength. There are as well four yellow stars on the inside corners of the rectangle.
The flag was a defacto symbol of São Paulo after the Constitutionalist Revolution, but was only officialized at November 27, 1946, under the Decree-Law 16.349 of the Federal constitution, that gave back to the states and municipalities the rights to cultivate proper symbols.