The flag of Zimbabwe was adopted on April 18, 1980. The soapstone bird featured on the flag represents a statuette of a bird found at the ruins of Great Zimbabwe. The bird symbolizes the history of Zimbabwe; the red star beneath it symbolizes the revolutionary struggle for liberation and peace.
Officially, the meanings of the colors on the flag are as follows:
* Green: the agriculture and rural areas of Zimbabwe
* Yellow: the wealth of minerals in the country
* Red: the blood shed during the war of the liberation
* Black: the heritage and ethnicity of the native Africans of Zimbabwe
* White: peace
* Zimbabwe Bird: The National Symbol of Zimbabwe
* Red Star:internationalism (as well as ZANU-PF's socialist beliefs)
The colors are used on the flag of the ruling ZANU PF party.