The flag of the Republic of the Congo was originally adopted on August 18, 1958. It was abandoned in 1970, at the beginning of the socialist period of the "People's Republic of Congo," but then readopted on June 10, 1991. The colors are the traditional Pan-African colors, and stem from the colors of the flag of Ethiopia. The distinctive diagonal pattern sets it apart from other Pan-African flags.
The People's Republic of Congo (1970-1992) had a red flag with the emblem of the People's Republic in the canton.