The Flag of Corsica was adopted by General of the Nation Pasquale di Paoli in 1755 and was based on a traditional flag used previously. It portrays a Moor's Head in black wearing a white bandana above his eyes on a white background. Previously, the bandana covered his eyes; Paoli wanted the bandana moved to above the eyes to symbolise the liberation of the Corsican people.
It was used by the ill-fated Corsican Republic and was practically banned after 1769, when France bought the island to settle a Genovesi debt and put down the endemic rebellion on the island. During this period under French rule, 1769-1789, Corsican patriots again used the version of the flag with blindfolded eyes, as a mark of protest.
The unblindfolded version, quartered with the British coat of arms, was used as the official flag during the Anglo-Corsican Kingdom of 1794-1796. It then fell into official disuse until 1980, when it was re-adopted as a regional flag.
The Moor's Head is also used on the Coat of Arms of Corsica.