About the flag of the Pitcairn Islands

The flag of the Pitcairn Islands was adopted on April 2, 1984. The design was suggested by the Pitcairn Island Council in December 1980 and approved by Queen Elizabeth II in April 1984. The flag was flown on Pitcairn for the first time in May 1984, during a visit by the then Governor, Sir Richard Stratton (1980-1984). The coat of arms of the Pitcairn Islands was granted by Royal Warrant dated November 4, 1969.

The coat of arms of the Pitcairn Islands features a shield depicting the anchor and Bible from HMS Bounty. This represents the ancestral history of the islanders, most of whom are descended from the sailors who mutinied on the Bounty in 1789. The design of the shield is green and blue representing the island rising from the ocean. The helmet and crest are a flowering slip of miro and a Pitcairn Island wheelbarrow.

The flag of the Pitcairn Islands is a Blue Ensign with the Union Flag in the canton and the coat of arms of the Pitcairn Islands on the fly.

Das könnte Sie auch interessieren