Both the civil and state flag of the German state of Thuringia feature a bicolour of white over red, comparable to many other flags such as that of Poland. The design is historical. The state flag is similar to the civil flag, except it is defaced in the centre with the new arms of Thuringia.
Like many German state's flags, the most commonly used size commercially if 3:5, although in law it is stated as being 'at least 1:2'.
The civil bicolour flag of white over red was used before World War II, and formally abolished in 1935, under the reforms of the Third Reich. It was readopted 1946 when Thuringia became a state again, and abolished 1952 under governing reforms of the German Democratic Republic. When Germany was reunited, Thuringia became a state again, and so the flag was finally readopted in 1991, having been a much used symbol during the demonstrations in the German Democratic Republic in 1989/90. It was immediately accepted as Landesflagge after the reunification and the re-establishment of Thuringia as a state on 3 October 1990. The first legal regulation was the Gesetz über die Hoheitszeichen of 30 January 1991.
The new arms of Thuringia are the old arms of the Landgravate of Thuringia, with a couple of alterations. Because of the similarities between Hesse and Thuringia Coats of Arms, the flags appear similar too.