About the flag of Glarus, Switzerland

The flag of Glarus ultimately goes back to a banner of Saint Fridolin used in the Battle of Näfels in 1388, because the former banner of Glarus had been captured by the people of Rapperswil in a previous raid.

After this, Glarus used the image of the saint in its banners. During the 15th and 16th century, these images varied considerably. Only by the beginning 17th century a standard design was established, showing the Saint as a pilgrim in silver on a red field. The modern design shows the pilgrim in black, inspired by a banner shown in Glarus claimed as the original banner of 1388. The current official design dates to 1959.

This flag is available in an official size option

Most mass-produced flags are commonly 150x90cm / 5x3' or 90x60cm / 3x2', which will often vary from the official size ratio. We now offer a custom-manufactured official size option for our many of our flags.

You may also be interested in